Welcome to the official website of spkg, the unofficial Slackware Linux package manager. spkg is implemented in C and optimized for speed. The latest version relased on 2013-04-02 08:32 is: spkg-1.0.1. See NEWS file for more information about this release.
Spkg is used in Salix OS to make its package installation and upgrades blazingly fast.
Spkg 1.0 was released
After almost five years since the development started, spkg reached version 1.0. Yay!
Over those five years, spkg received some commercial support by Zonio, gained windows support thanks to Laura Michaels, and was adopted by Salix OS developers for package management in their distribution.
Spkg GIT repository on GITHUB
Spkg GIT repository is available on GITHUB. Feel free to create forks and send me pull requests. ;-)
See older news...
- Simple user interface. Just like pkgtools.
- Fast install, upgrade and remove operations.
- Command to list information about installed packages.
- Dry-run mode, in which filesystem is not touched.
- Safe mode for installing untrusted packages.
- Rollback and safe cancel functionality.
- You can use spkg and pkgtools side by side.
- You can be informed about all actions spkg does if you turn on verbose mode.
- Everything is libified. (see docs) You can implement new commands easily.
You can find some benchmarks here. Here are just a few numbers comparing pkgtools to spkg: installation is at least 4x faster, upgrade is 7x faster and remove is 30x faster on averange.